Managing properties out of state

Home Forums General Discussion Managing properties out of state

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Chelizno1103 1 year ago.

• Author

Chelizno1103
    Participant

what are the biggest obstacles when managing a rental property that isn’t local? What should someone consider before deciding to invest in properties long distance?

BarC20
    Participant

If you are trying to manage it yourself, distance is the challenge. How are you going to do showings when you have a vacancy? How are you going to check in to make sure everything is good on the outside periodically?

Chelizno1103
    Participant

Right. So you suggest hiring a property manager if investing in long distance properties?

MikeL
    Participant

Using the internet, you can find a partner in your target market. Create a fair arrangement where they are compensated for their management.

StanleyDe49
    Participant

My first question is why are you buying out of state property?

Chelizno1103
    Participant

I was just curious on the thoughts. I know someone who owns property in my area (Kentucky) but lives in Florida and he seems to manage fairly well as far as I can tell. I have family in a couple different states that we visit every so often and we always like to look around when are there, just to see what’s on the market and prices and such. Just didn’t know how difficult it would be to manage properties that aren’t in my area if we ever decided to do something like that

RayBan
    Participant

If you’ve got the right partner or property manager, it’s easy. Otherwise it’s very hard.

Chelizno1103
    Participant

Thanks for the input. It’s definitely appreciated

BarC20
    Participant

I’ve heard a lot of horror stories of property managers who don’t control costs. I don’t like them for smaller properties. That’s why I’ll stick with only buying local.

Chelizno1103
    Participant

Yea I assume there would be a lot of factors that could easily get out of control if you aren’t near by. Probably a lot less trouble and risk involved staying local.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.